Why we need discover images
If you have a computer and that is not PXE enabled or supported, you can use a discover images to install an required operating systems on the computers. this type of images is based on the name of the server only.
Prerequisites for creating discover images
- Need CD/DVD or flash drive to copy & burn the images.
Steps for creating discover images
You can create discover images using the Windows Deployment Services. You must create discover images using the Boot.wim file from the media (located in the \Sources folder). You cannot use the WinPE.wim file from the Windows AIK to create a discover image.
To create a discover image
- Open Windows Deployment Services, expand the Boot images node.
- Right-click on the boot image ( This is must be the Boot.wim from the Windows 7 media. )
- Click Create Discover Boot Image.
- Follow the instructions in the Image wizard, and once it is complete, click on Finish.
To create media that contains the discover image
- Download and install the Windows AIK Tool
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft Windows AIK, and then click Windows PE Tools Command Prompt.
- To create a WinPE build environment, type:
CopyPE x86 or Amd64 C:\Winpe
- To copy the discover image created in the previous procedure, type:
Copy /y c:\boot.wim c:\Winpe\ISO\Sources
- To change back to the PETools folder, type:
Cd C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools
- To create the bootable ISO image, type:
Oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe\ISO\boot\etfsboot.com c:\winpe\ISO c:\discoverImage.iso
- Use a utility that can create a CD/DVD to Burn the ISO image to the appropriate media.